Media Mobilizing Project (MMP) is a vibrant community institution winning power in Philadelphia, organizing around technology as it intersects with race and inequality, and impacting the fight for justice across the country and around the world. We are a hub for supporting and developing organizing strategies with poor and working people that build local power for the multi-racial working class in Philadelphia, and we connect and share those lessons in Philly and local-to-locally with other communities across the United States.
Our work is rooted in a belief that storytelling is an organizing practice, and we’ve produced feature films and community media with Black, Brown, immigrant, and poor communities for 15 years. Over that time we’ve built a network of vibrant community organizations struggling for basic human rights in our city. We tell the untold stories of people standing up for what’s right, build infrastructure to support emerging leaders and organizations, and drive research and craft policies to address the pressing issues of our times. Our work moves the Philadelphia community towards equity, justice and a better world for every one of us and pioneer strategies that support vibrant community organizations around the country.
Media Mobilizing Project’s Operations and Development
MMP understands operations and development as a key part of our work fighting for equity and justice. Our organizational administration touches all of our program areas, working to raise financial and people resources, coordinate those resources, and increase the capacity of our policy campaigns, media making and movement building work. In recent years we’ve expanded the depth of our support of local organizing initiatives through our sponsored projects program, which now provides fiscal sponsorship and technical support for a dozen community based projects. MMP also anchors the People’s Headquarters – our shared office space with grassroots social movement organizations that offers co-working, administrative, meeting, and media editing facilities.
Position Description for MMP Operations Director:
The Operations Director works in close collaboration/coordination with MMP Executive Director to lead and oversee the various aspects of MMP’s operations, including office management and IT, fundraising and organizational development, and human resources. They manage a team of staff and volunteers and collaborate with contractors, board members and partners, on various relevant aspects of the operations of MMP. The Operations Director reports to the Executive Director and is a member of the Directors Team comprised of the Executive Director and Policy Director.
- Management and supervision of the Operations Manager who oversees day-to-day operations needs, human resources, and in turn supervises the People’s HQ Space Coordinator.
- Management and supervision of the Information Systems & Technology Manager to meet organizational IT needs.
- Support of resource raising and development efforts through coordination of program directors and managers on grant seeking, and leadership of MMP’s major donors and grassroots fundraising efforts.
- Leads strategy and long term planning for sustaining and growing MMP’s organizational infrastructure.
- Leads organizational budgeting, annual audit, financial and legal compliance.
- Coordination of the sponsored projects program, including overseeing the intake of new sponsored projects, working with the Operations Manager to assist sponsored projects, and developing the long-term sustainability of the sponsored projects program and respective projects.
- Commitment to MMP’s mission and vision.
- Motivation, discipline, flexibility, discretion, attention to detail, willingness to learn and sense of humor.
- 2 or more years experience and confidence managing staff, volunteers and interns.
- Well-organized, excellent time management, and attention to detail.
- 3 or more years of leadership experience in a director-level position.
- Mastery using QuickBooks or a comparable accounting tool.
- Proficiency and comfort using technology tools such as CiviCRM, Asana, and WordPress.
- 2 or more years experience directing fundraising and development efforts, including work with major donors, and foundation relationships.
- 2 or more years experience administering fiscal sponsorship programs a plus.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to build and maintain strong professional relationships with everyday Philadelphians, elected officials, organizational leaders, organizational members, donors, board and staff.
- Ability to problem-solve.
- Ability to prioritize work demands strategically.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and priorities and to work both independently and collaboratively. Including experience with project management/ management of long-term projects.
- A strong team player with the ability to take and give direction.
- Ability to attend some night and weekend meetings and events strongly preferred.
- Willingness to occasionally travel.
- Desire to work in an environment that is diverse, fast-paced and community-driven.
Salary and benefits:
The Operations Director salary is $65,000 – $75,000 per year based on experience. Benefits include health care (MMP pays 90%) and generous vacation policy, as well as some scheduling flexibility.
MMP is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture because we believe that communities impacted by structural racism and capitalism are best positioned to make powerful interventions to transform our society.
MMP encourages applications from all individuals who think they might be qualified without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, caretaking status of children or elders, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.
If we contact you and want more information, our process will be for us to interview you and for us to contact your references, and we will also ask you to complete exercises demonstrating your capacity for executing this position. Thank you for your interest!