Philly We Rise Paid Intern
Philly We Rise is a call to action. We are a media hub that amplifies the work that individuals and organizations do to fight for our communities and we are a resource for those who want to get involved in the local social justice movement.
Philly We Rise launched in 2017, following Trump’s presidential election. Our goal is to be a resource for individuals who want to combat Trump’s policies surrounding immigration, healthcare, labor, education, environment and LGBTQ affairs on a national and local level. We use our platform to share meaningful ways that people can take action and drive positive change in our communities. We highlight protests, rallies, meetings and all the ways people are rising up for justice. We do this to encourage others to get involved in the movement, to spread awareness about lesser known local issues, and to preserve this record of community action for decades to come.
Philly We Rise is a program of Media Mobilizing Project.
We are looking for an intern to work with us on key new initiatives for Philly We Rise. This includes leading our deep dives and local politics sections. The intern will also assist in our list-building and fundraising efforts.
This position is well suited for someone who would like to learn more about community organizing, journalism and social change work.
This is a 3 month internship (with the potential for an extension) that will run from February 1st through May 1st. Interns are expected to work 10-16 hours a week, split over 2 or 3 days. Interns will receive $15/hr.
- Write bi-weekly articles that breakdown current issues affecting Philly communities
- Create content about local politics in the Philadelphia area, including sharing information about upcoming elections and major legislation
- Occasionally attend actions and events in Philadelphia, help to document them using cellphone photo and video
- Share curated content on Philly We Rise’s social media, email and website
- Regularly communicate with community organizers in Philadelphia about campaign priorities and actions
- Occasionally table events in the Philadelphia area and share Philly We Rise’s mission with attendees
- Other responsibilities as needed
What we’re looking for:
- Someone with an understanding of social media platforms (this includes Facebook, Twitter and Instagram), who can use a website content management system and email campaign system (we use WordPress and Action Network), or who can pick up these skills.
- Someone with a commitment to social justice, who has some knowledge of the organizations and causes in the Philadelphia area and who’s excited to learn more.
- A good writer who’s comfortable writing columns bi-weekly, and writing short descriptions on social media content.
- Someone who is self-directed and can work on their own when necessary, and who is also a good collaborator.
- A creative thinker who is excited about finding ways to support the social justice movement in Philadelphia
How to apply:
Apply by Monday, January 13, 2020 at https://mediamobilizing.org/pwr_intern/.